Tuesday 17 February 2015

Overcoming Pain With...Fear

At The Lagoons RV Resort, Rockport, Texas...

Fortunately, the pain in my foot subsided significantly after I began wearing the new zombie boot. It is also possible, however, that the pain has been suppressed by fear. You see, Sandy has had to assume the driving duties in Mae, something that would normally happen only if I were unconscious or otherwise incapacitated. She will be the first to tell you that driving a vehicle makes her nervous, but this doesn't fully describe its effect on me. To illustrate why I'm sometimes fearful, perhaps a brief review of some of the more memorable events in her driving history is in order:

  • Sandy's most significant automobile accident occurred when she collided with a vehicle driven by her own husband.

  • She once collided with an appliance in our garage.

  • She was ticketed for speeding in a school zone. (She was a schoolteacher at the time.)

  • In an attempt to back our Suburban out of the garage, she managed to get it caught sideways in the structure and had to call me home from work to straighten it out. I asked if it could wait until after work hours, but she informed me that her beauty shop appointment constituted an emergency. I came home.

Sandy actually has a very good driving record; it's just that odd things seem to happen while she's driving. And since she has achieved perfection in my eyes, I'm sure these things are not her fault. (Sandy helped me write this paragraph.)

Here are a couple more restaurant reviews for you:

B and J Pizza in Corpus Christi.  Oh, my! This cavernous place has some righteous pizza. It was packed when we went on a Friday night, and it took nearly an hour to get our pizza, but it was worth the wait. Super fresh toppings lay on a crispy crust that was also light and tender. It reminded me of the 5 Ate CafĂ©, a favorite in Houston featured in an earlier post. Four and a half stars for B and J; it would have been five had the wait not been so long.

I'm in line to order at B&J Pizza.
For our Valentine's Day dinner, I chose Roosevelt's at the Tarpon Inn in Port Aransas. This was a really fine place, and we enjoyed immensely some expertly-prepared mahi-mahi and flounder and the attentive service. Very fresh, very tasty and very expensive, but nothing is too good for my Valentine, right?! Four and a half stars for Roosevelt's; I would have given it five, except I didn't care for the julienned vegetable saute served as a side. (Had the veggies not been cut so fine, they may not have suffered from being slightly overcooked.) The original Tarpon Inn was built on this location in 1886; the restaurant was named in honor of onetime guest Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The Tarpon Inn looks rundown, but it's not. This is typical of small coastal towns.

Garlic bread served at Roosevelt's. Just as good as it looks!

Thank you, Lord, for the wonderful life You've given me. Please forgive me if I do not appreciate it enough each day.







No comments:

Post a Comment